Online Shopping Safety is something that is very easy but you must use caution. The Internet has changed the way millions of us shop and as with any convenience there are also risks involved. Online scams, shopping scams, viruses, and other issues are something we have to watch out for. Don’t take your safety for granted, make sure you are spending safely online by following these tips.
- Shop reliable websites. Don’t just go to any site to order something. Make sure it is a trusted site like Amazon, Ebay, or has an https in the web address. When in doubt do a little more research, or ask me, and I will see if I can turn up any “good” sites for you. There are always new and bargain related sites being released. But, just because they are new doesn’t mean they are the safest place for you to shop.
- Watch your credit card statements for errors, as well as unauthorized charges. The quicker you realize there might be a problem, the easier the solution usually is. I check ours weekly, because I would hate for someone to rack up thousands of dollars of debt I am unable to pay for.
- Don’t use public Wi-Fi connections to shop. This allows for hackers to gain access to your credit card numbers, paypal accounts and more! You can’t be to careful in today’s society.
- Don’t wire money!! Pay through a credit card, paypal or somewhere you trust. If you wire the money to a company and the seller vanishes there isn’t a way to “trace” the money. Credit cards have complaint and dispute programs in place to help protect you the shopper if you don’t receive the goods you purchased.
- Text or Social Media links often advertise deals that sound to good to be true. This is where the old adage “If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably isn’t real” comes into play. I’ve been shopping online for several years and have ran across these links and I always stay clear. Use common sense and have fun shopping online, but remember to be frugal as well as a safe spender online!
What do you do to be a safe spender online?