Thrift Shop shopping helps you save! Frugal living doesn’t mean you are cheap or to poor to afford name brand clothes, it just means you look for the best deal to save your money and make it last longer. Thrift shops are an invaluable resource that helps my family save hundreds of dollars each month and always look nice in the process. Use these Thrift Shop Shopping Tips to see what kind of bargains you can get to stretch your clothing budget.
Here are 5 Thrift Shop Shopping Tips to help navigate the Thrift Stores!
1) Be prepared to change out buttons to update a look if you find designer wear that is a little outdated, this can be done for a few dollars!! You may even wish to remove a pocket to update an 80′s blazer to a new chic fashion so invest a couple of bucks in a seam ripper. I’ve remade several items to make them look even better at a fraction of the cost.
2) Check zippers, buttons & seems. Unless you find designer wear or a really awesome coat, zippers usually are NOT worth the cost to have replaced. Unless you can do it yourself, but if the zipper is busted I leave it in the store.
3) Shop on sale days… Even thrift stores have sales! Sign up for their newsletter and “like” their Facebook pages so you can stay informed of the sale dates and promotional events. Check your local stores to see what their sales are. Our Goodwill has different sales on different colored tags usually by the month.
4) Wash the clothes really well and avoid buying intimates. After I make a thrift store purchase I wash the clothes on my super cycle that washes them for 59 minutes. If you’re a person that is borderline germ phobic, but need the savings of a thrift store, use a germicidal wash.
5) Invest in no sew hem tape. Hem tape is so easy to use and its a really quick fix to hem trousers, jeans, skirts etc so you can customize to your height. You just apply the tape and iron! You can even add a cuff liner to update a blazer all using hem tape.
Do you have any Thrift Shop Shopping tips to share?
Thanks to Family Frugal Fun for these great tips!