Helping others is a great gift to both give and receive! There are lots of ways you can help others that cost very little. Some are even free and those are my favorites!!
1. Paying a compliment is a great free way to help others and brighten someone’s day. There’s almost always something you can compliment about a person – fingernail design/color, a piece of jewelry, an article of clothing, or a hairstyle. Compliment their good attitude, for example, or point out their calm under pressure. Just a simple compliment can mean so much and it only takes a minute of your time.
2. Volunteer work is both easy to do and very rewarding. There are lots of great places you can volunteer that always are glad to have an extra pair of hands. Some great places are listed below.
- House of worship
- Charity programs
- Local Schools
- Homeless Shelters
- Women’s shelters
- Animal Shelters
- Nursing homes
3. Be Friendly! Just being nice and smiling at people can give them a lift for the day. Say hello and give folks a smile, and you may be a more positive influence than you know. Even if it is a complete stranger, it will make their day!
4. Donate unwanted items to someone you know, or your local second-hand shop, the effect is the same: you get to give something to someone that they might otherwise not be able to afford. You can also donate money to a charity that you believe in.
5. Show Someone How to Do Something
Does your mother not understand the computer? Does your dad have technical problems with watching videos online? Maybe your child is struggling with math or some other subject at school, or your niece needs someone to show her how to play soccer. It may not be a relative, but most of us know someone who needs help learning a skill. Step up and teach!
6. Do a Chore for Someone
Whether it’s taking out the garbage for the elderly person down the road, or mowing someone’s lawn, stepping up to do a much-needed chore can be a tremendous help. Being kind doesn’t cost a thing!
There are so many ways you can help others. Just use a little creativity and be willing to help wherever it’s needed. How else do you help others?