The amount of over the counter medications available is staggering. There are multiple choices for almost anything – mood, acne, pain, colds, energy, the list goes on. Doesn’t it seem strange to look for a pill to take instead of what you can eat? Almost anything you need to fight off chronic ailments can be found in Nature if you know where to look. A well balanced diet is like a tune up for your car – everything runs better. There are benefits to all healthy foods, but here are some standouts.
5 Healthy Foods to Ward off Chronic Ailments
1. Dark Chocolate – Got your attention, didn’t I? Thought I’d start with a good one to make sure you’re paying attention. High quality dark chocolate has been found to have heart healthy benefits in addition to tasting great. It can lower cholesterol and reduce heart disease. In addition, the tryptophan and magnesium in dark chocolates can also improve your mood. It’s a tasty snack that can lift body and mind!
2. Broccoli and salads – Especially salads made with spinach. The vitamin A, C, and E in broccoli along with the folic acid in spinach helps the body to produce and maintain new, healthy cells in the body. They also help boost the immune system, meaning less down time from things like the common cold. Here’s a delicious Broccoli and Grape Salad with Sunflower Seeds you may like to try!
3. Whole Grains – These are a great source of selenium, which can ward off depression. In addition, whole grain breads are an excellent source of fiber and great with spreads like peanut butter or other things.
4. Chicken – This is a great lean source of protein, especially with the skin removed. The white meat in chicken is loaded with B Vitamins, mainly B12, B6 and B3. It can lower your risk of stroke and boost your mood. It is also great because it is incredibly versatile and can be cooked dozens of different ways. B Vitamins help your body in the following ways:
•Fighting off anemia
•Building healthy blood cells
•Boosting the immune system
•Turning carbohydrates into energy
•Combating heart disease
5. Bananas – A great snack to satisfy the sweet tooth while getting great nutrition. It’s a great source of magnesium and B6 that will give you a burst of sustainable energy and a boost to your mood as well. They can be eaten plain or cut up and put on yogurt or cereal.
You may enjoy reading how to Reduce Inflammation without Medication.