Want to keep the kids busy this summer? Consider having them help in the family garden. There are a ton of chores your kids can help with in the garden. Check out this list of 20 ways kids can help in the garden without making them feel as though they are not having fun. Gardening is a great learning tool and there’s plenty of fun to be had in the garden!
20 Ways Kids Can Help in the Garden
1. Help start seedlings in containers before they are ready to plant.
2. Help place soil in the containers for seedlings before they’re ready to plant.
3. Rake the soil to help get the garden ready.
4. Pull weeds and help remove tiny rocks.
5. Place soil or mulch on the ground to help with the nutrition of the garden.
6. Plant the fresh seeds or the seedlings in the ground.
7. Ensure that there’s enough space in between each seed that’s planted.
8. Water fruits and veggies on a daily basis to help keep them healthy.
9. Help create garden markers for the garden.
10. Help put up a garden fence to keep critters out.
11. Write down what was planted and when it was planted.
12. Keep an eye on which fruits and veggies are ready to be harvested.
13. Use scissors to help cut different plants when they’re ready to harvest.
14. Help take pictures of the progress of the garden.
15. Clean gardening tools and put them back where they belong.
16. Help pick fruits and veggies for that night’s dinner.
17. Pick fruit and veggies off the main plant that are no good.
18. Help make sure all edible fruits and veggies are picked.
19. Help to winterize the garden when the time is right.
20. Put away all gardening tools and decorations for the upcoming winter.
Make sure you spend time with your kids as they complete these activities in the garden. Gardening is always more fun when you are doing it with someone else. Growing a garden is one way to keep fresh fruits and veggies on your table all summer and fall long.
What are some ways you have your kids help in the garden?