If you’re a stay-at-home mom and wife, chances are, you’re living on a pretty tight budget. Since your spouse is your sole source of income, you can’t spend as much on clothes as you could when you were a working woman. On the other hand, being a housewife doesn’t mean that your style has to suffer! Try these ten tips to develop a stunning, stylish wardrobe without breaking the bank.
The Top Ten Ways to Become a Stylish Housewife on a Budget
1. Don’t be afraid of thrift stores. In many cases, people will donate or sell clothes in perfect condition that simply didn’t work for them. When you get them home, wash them before wearing, and no one will ever know that you didn’t purchase them new!
2. Use coupons to full advantage. A good coupon can make a product that you couldn’t afford fall within your price range. Coupons for Sears.com, for example, often take a percentage off of your purchase, making it easier to buy the clothes you need.
3. Shop sales. Know when clothes will be going on sale at your favorite stores and take advantage of it. Check out the clearance racks. You never know when you’ll find your favorite piece for a steal of a price.
4. Wear classic, timeless styles. Sure, it’s hip and stylish to follow the latest trends; but the most stylish, pulled-together ladies often don’t update their wardrobes every time the seasons change. Instead, they purchase classic, timeless pieces that can be worn for years without going out of style. If you think you’ll be embarrassed by pictures of you in a certain article of clothing in ten years, it might be better to pass on even the best deal.
5. Invest in quality. Clothing that falls apart after a few washes or will only survive for a single season will ultimately cost you more than a few simple, classic pieces that are high-quality and will last for years.
6. Hold a clothing swap with your friends. Chances are, there are people in your circle who would love to have clothes that you’ve outgrown or simply no longer wear. By that same token, your friends probably have unused clothes in their closets that you would love to wear every day. Host a clothing swap to share clothing between your friends and increase your wardrobe.
7. Don’t buy something just because it’s on sale. If it’s been a while since you last went clothing shopping, it can be very tempting to buy clothes simply because they’re cheap. This is especially true if shopping gives you a thrill. Unfortunately, this tactic often results in ill-fitting clothes that are just going to take up space in the back of your closet. Instead, take the time to try on clothes and only buy the things that you really love.
8. Buy the size you’re currently wearing, not the one you want to be wearing. For many young moms, the temptation to buy clothes in their old size is strong. What you need, however, isn’t a wardrobe that will be perfect when you lose ten pounds. You’ll be amazed by how much better you look in clothes that actually fit. If you’re going to buy clothes, buy them in the size you’re currently wearing–no matter how dedicated to that diet you think you are.
9. Wait before you buy. Try to avoid impulse purchases. Sometimes, you don’t have a choice: your weight has changed and you no longer have jeans that fit; you need an outfit for a specific event; your child has just spit up all over your clean shirt in the middle of a restaurant, and you don’t want to wear it for the next hour. Most of the time, however, you can choose your purchases carefully. Make sure that you really want a clothing item and will wear it regularly before you take it home.
10. Don’t forget about practicality. As a housewife, your day looks very different from a businesswoman’s. While there are certainly occasions when you need to be able to dress up, you don’t have to wear “work clothes” every single day. As a result, your stylish wardrobe might need to consist more of jeans and tops than slacks and dresses. Keep practicality in mind when you’re putting your wardrobe together on a budget and spend your clothing money on items that are actually going to see use instead of items that are going to hide in your closet for months before they finally get worn.
Shopping on a budget can be challenging, but if you’re an experienced shopper and know how to shop for your body type, you’ll find that you can use your clothing budget wisely and choose stylish clothes that look great on you. By following these tips, you can be the most stylish housewife in town on even the tightest budget.