We are sharing this post as part of a Bloggin’ Mamas Social Good Campaign, and were not compensated for doing so. Southern Krazed is joining with Bloggin’ Mamas in sponsoring this giveaway in support of the Ad Council and the American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association campaign acknowledging the recent World Stroke Day on October 29th. We are helping to raise awareness about Stroke knowledge, prevention, and what to do in an emergency.
SPOT A Stroke
Did you know that stroke is the fifth leading cause of death and the leading preventable case of disability in the US? Each year, about 800,000 Americans suffer a new or recurrent stroke. Furthermore, someone in the world has a stroke every 2 seconds.
- 1 in 6 people will have a stroke in their lifetime.
- 1 in 3 Americans cannot name at least one sign of stroke.
- When you recognize a stroke and immediately call 9-1-1, the person has a greater chance of getting to an appropriate hospital quickly and being assessed for treatment options like a clot-busting drug or clot-busting device.
- Someone in the world has a stroke every 2 seconds.
- In the U.S. stroke is the No. 5 cause of death overall, killing nearly 130,000 people a year.
- Stroke is the No. 1 preventable cause of long-term disability.
How to spot a stroke F.A.S.T. (the warning signs):
F – Face Drooping – Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile.A – Arm Weakness – Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?S – Speech Difficulty – Is speech slurred? Are they unable to speak, or are they hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence like: “The sky is blue.” Is the sentence repeated correctly?T– Time to call 9-1-1 – If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately. www.StrokeAssociation.org/warningsigns
Here’s Paul George’s Story
More Resources & Info
- Click HERE to watch more videos
- Check out the F.A.S.T. Song – The ASA has created a simple song to help people remember the stroke warning signs. They have the F.A.S.T. song in several musical styles on Youtube. If you’re really brave, sing it, or record a lip sync version, then share it using the #singFAST hashtag.
- Download the mobile app – There’s an app for that and at least one person is glad she had it!
And Now for the Giveaway!
One lucky reader will win a
$100 Amazon Gift Card!
Giveaway ends 11/18/15 at 11:59 pm ET! Open to US residents 18+ and older.
Enter using the Giveaway form below.
Good Luck Y’all!
Disclosure: Bloggin’ Mamas is hosting this giveaway and coordinating prize fulfillment. Element Associates, The Ad Council and the American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association are in no way responsible for the giveaway, and only provided the above content to be distributed in the form of a PSA.